Posted on October 21, 2019
By Tia Lyons
The local community and surrounding areas are invited to celebrate a “Nutcracker Christmas” with the 2019 El Dorado Christmas Parade.
Presented by the El Dorado-Union County Chamber of Commerce, the parade will roll at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 12.
Jaren Brooks, membership and events coordinator for the chamber, said the parade grand marshals will be announced during the Downtown Holiday Lighting Ceremony on Nov. 21.
“There will be one boy and one girl from our local (fifth)- grade schools,” Brooks said.
The parade was pushed from its traditional schedule of the first Thursday in December to the second Thursday of the month to allow the parade committee to book the featured attraction: the Budweiser Clydesdales.
Several weeks ago, chamber officials announced that the iconic show horses would not be available for the Christmas parade on Dec. 5 but could appear in the parade on Dec. 12.
The chamber conducted an online poll several weeks ago and respondents overwhelmingly favored rescheduling the parade to accommodate the Clydesdales’ schedule and to help make the annual event even merrier and brighter for spectators.
The El Dorado Christmas Parade is touted as the largest parade in south Arkansas, drawing hundreds of spectators and scores of entries, including floats, marching bands, walking groups, horseback riders and decorated cars, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles and more.
It is one of the most highly anticipated holiday events in El Dorado and Union County, parade-goers often lining their vehicles along the parade route — hours, or even a day — before the parade is scheduled to start to land prime real estate for viewing. Brooks said rain kept some spectators and entries away from the 2018 parade. Chamber officials and members of the parade committee said they are hoping for clear skies on the night of Dec. 12. The deadline to submit entry forms is 4 p.m. Dec.
4. Entry fees must be paid at the time the forms are submitted. Forms that come in after the deadline will be subject to a late-entry fee. Entry fees and categories are:
• $50, large float. If a float is 18 feet or larger, the size must be specified on the entry form.
• $40, small float (smaller than 18 feet).
• $35, walking groups.
• $35 each for cars and trucks. Cars and trucks must be decorated on all four sides to be entered into the parade.
• $25, motorcycles/ATVs. The fee is $10 for each additional motorcycle or ATV.
• $20, livestock and $10 for each additional livestock entry. Only one entry is allowed per form. General parade rules are listed on the form. Additional details about the parade are forthcoming. For more information about the Christmas parade or to request an entry form, call the chamber of commerce at 870-863-6113.
Tia Lyons may be contacted at 870-862-6611 or email@example.com .